Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Summit City Comic-Con Preview

Summit City Comic-Con 2010 is only a couple days away, so I decided to give you all a little preview of some of the stuff I'll have with me.

This is my contribution to the silent auction they will be holding to benefit the Hero Initiative. If you aren't aware of the Hero Initiative, click here for more info. It's an amazing cause that I'm very proud to be a part of. I urge you to bid on all the pieces that will be available from all the artists this weekend. You'll definitely be making a difference. My piece is called "The Great Sandwich Detective vs. The World" and is obviously a parody of one of the opening pages of the first Scott Pilgrim book (or for all you newbies, the movie poster featuring Michael Cera). It's watercolor and ink on 11x14 Bristol board.


All of the artists were given 10 really cool SCCC-exclusive sketch cards to draw on for the show. I went with a mustache theme for mine (big surprise). So from left to right, starting at the top, they go: Dr. Doom, The Thing, Godzilla, MODOK, Bane, Swamp Thing, Max Rebo, Sinestro and Kilowog. They are all done in blue sketch pencil with some being outlined or inked entirely. If you'll notice, one card is missing. I left that card blank for a reason. Just like the Robocop drawing I held at Motor City, I'm doing a drawing this weekend. If you stop by my table and purchase anything (sketch, comic, print, etc.), I'll enter your name into a cup. I'll pick a winner about a half hour before the show is over and that winner gets to pick what I draw on the 10th card and then I will hand that card over to said person. Only exception is I'm gonna draw a mustache on whatever character you pick. Y'know. You can also enter by donating $1 to the Hero Initiative.


Also for sale this weekend will be copies of The Great Sandwich Detective #1, How Stuff Happens #1 and leftover Robocop prints from Motor City. I will also be doing sketches for $1 and small paintings for $3. I will be be open to doing commission work but seeing as the show is only one 8 hour day, I'll more than likely have to take that work home with me and then mail it to you. I'll also have my portfolio with me which includes some original art I'm willing to part with.

I'll also have an exclusive Summit City Comic-Con print for sale. It will be printed on white, matte cardstock and individually numbered. I will have 40 of them with me. They will be watercolor and ink. I don't know the exact sizing yet as I'm still working on it. I'll will have an exact size plus a picture of it posted by tomorrow night. It is going to be How Stuff Happened-related and super cool.

Another thing I'm really excited about is the All Ages Comics panel I'm going to be part of. I will be joining Art Baltazar (Tiny Titans), Mike Norton (Billy Batson & The Magic Of Shazam) and Dan Davis (Cartoon Network) in a Q&A panel about All Ages/Kids comics. It's an interactive panel with hopes that the little ones will get involved and ask us all kinds of questions. I'm really humbled and honored to be a part of this, especially since it's my first ever panel. My friend will be taping it and we'll post it online next week. That takes place from 11-11:55 AM. So I'll be in the Artists Alley for the first hour of the show, then the panel for about an hour and then back in the Alley. Really looking forward to it.

I guess that's just about it in terms of SCCC. You can check out the official website for more info including the guests and other panels and events taking place that day.

My convention schedule is getting busier. I'll be heading back to the Mitten State next month for Cherry Capital Con in Traverse City, MI, June 12th & 13th. It's gonna be a great show with some great guests (cough-Steve Dillon-cough). I'll also be at Kokomo Con in Kokomo, IN on October 23rd and I plan on also attending Mid-Ohio Con in November. I'll keep my calendar updated with those dates.

Well, that was a lot of words. Time to get back to painting and preparing for this weekend. High fives and see you this weekend!

Dave!

No comments: